Fire Prevention Tips Every Homeowner Must Know

House on fire

House fires have been on a downtrend in the U.S. since 2013, according to the country’s Fire Administration. Still, a single fire can cause substantial damage and even cost lives, and that’s devastating enough.

As a parent and a homeowner, you always have to keep in mind the things you should and shouldn’t do to keep your home from going up in flames. You should also contact experts from fire protection services in Utah to make sure you and your family never fall victim to a devastating fire.

Never leave candles and cigarettes unattended

Most people remember to do this except when they’re really tired and fall asleep without meaning to. About 6% to 7% of household fires are caused unintentionally or by carelessness.

Never use the space below your oven for storage

Small kitchens are common, so homeowners try to make every inch work for them. The heat of the oven can ignite the items underneath though.

Have broken appliances repaired

Equipment malfunction causes 1.6% of household fires. Make sure toasters, microwave ovens and other types of heaters are working properly.

Pay attention to what you’re cooking

People multitask a lot because they have to. There’s a long roster of things to do and not enough time to get to them. Do resist the temptation to leave that pot or oven unattended though. Cooking, which causes 50.8% of fires, ranks first in the list of culprits.

Make sure your heater is in good shape

Trailing behind cooking is household heating. One out of 10 times a problem with the heating is the reason homes go up in flames.

Clean your dryer vent

The combustion of lint has set so many homes aflame. All you need to do to prevent this from happening is to remove the lint from the trap after every load. Also, have someone check on the vent to avoid build-up.

When everything seems to be going well, it’s easy to forget these guidelines. Being proactive pays though.